The latest patch notes for Modern Warfare‘s latest update add some much needed refinement and tuning to the year’s biggest multiplayer shooter, including a nerf to arguably the franchise’s most infamous weapon in years.
Well on par with Modern Warfare 2‘s 1887 shotgun, which at launch back in 2009 was terribly overpowered, namely when used akimbo, Modern Warfare‘s 725 shotgun has proven to be Infinity Ward’s most perplexing design choice in years.
Effectively being used as a sniper when equipped with the right attachments, there are countless videos online showing the shotgun effectively sniping enemies from the other side of the map. Frankly, under no circumstances should a shotgun be used, and it certainly shouldn’t work as such.
However, if you can work your way up the weapon’s levels and attach the correct combination of attachments and perks, the 727 can actually be used as a ridiculously powerful sniper rifle.
Thankfully, Infinity Ward has acknowledged how utterly broken this weapon is, and as such they have nerfed it. While they haven’t really elaborated on what impact to the weapon’s range we’ll see, we know it’s clearly on the studio’s agenda given they’re looking at its overall range.
A few other weapons seeing some refinements are the AR, with minor hip spread adjustments, the M4, which will see increased hip spread, and the FAL, which will now enjoy reduced recoil.
Check out the full patch notes below.
- More backend fixes to prevent crashes and improve stability across all modes and all platforms
- Fix for a bug where a player using the Riot Shield would not take explosive damage during certain situations
- Fixed an issue where the Riot Shield would stow on the players back when using Stim. (Tactical)
- Adjusted to always play walk footstep sounds when in ADS and crouch independent of speed
- Increased the speed in which you can remain using the walk footstep sounds by slightly pressing on the movement stick
- General fix for the UI and Challenge state getting out of sync. We’ll continue to monitor and make additional fixes as needed in future updates
- Fix for a challenge related error that could occur; DEV ERROR 5476
- Fix for Mission Challenge description, “Get Kills with a Burst Weapons” being too vague.
- Spawn tuning while playing TDM and Domination
- Domination flag adjustments; B Flag is now near the busses instead of the center fountain
- ARs: Minor hip spread adjustment
- 725: Reduce range
- M4: increase hip spread, decrease damage to the head
- FAL: Reduced recoil, increased ADS speed
- EB-14: Increase ADS speed
- Miscellaneous ammo reserve adjustments upon spawning to be in-line with other weapons of their class
- Fix for a bug where a player using the Overkill perk with an SMG as their secondary would sometimes spawn without a primary weapon when joining a match in progress