With the Support-heavy meta continuing to dominate the Competitive circuit, Blizzard was looking to up certain heroes in the damage stakes, with both Zarya and Junkrat seeing significant changes in that regard.
The introduction of Baptiste also mixed things up, with a balance between healing and damage capabilities that had an interesting impact on the meta.
Junkrat’s frag launcher was a few weeks ago buffer to 60 damage per impact: this meant that, as a sweeping-type character, he could enter into a battle mid-fight, and wipe out an entire team with one-hit kills.
Essentially, the buff fed into the character’s already spam-heavy gameplay philosophy, fuelling a high-damage output that would make progression on either attack or defence a near impossibility, even with shielded characters.
This prompted Blizzard to nerf him down to 50 damage per impact.
“Since the recent increase of Frag Launcher’s damage output, Junkrat has been building his ultimate too quickly,” Blizzard explained. “We’re increasing the cost of his ultimate to balance this change with his increased damage-dealing capabilities.”
So he’s now seen a slight nerf (from what it was after the last buff), while his Ultimate will now require 10% additional damage to reach full capacity.
Check out the full list of patch notes below.
- Biotic Launcher
- Can now be stopped from automatically reloading by switching the Automatic Reload option to OFF. This option defaults to ON
- Immortality Field
- Made significant changes to its visual appearance and sounds
- Frag Launcher
- Impact damage changed from 60 to 50
- Cost increased by 10%
Developer Comments: Since the recent increase of Frag Launcher’s damage output, Junkrat has been building his ultimate too quickly. We’re increasing the cost of his ultimate to balance this change with his increased damage-dealing capabilities.
- Particle Cannon
- Alternative Fire’s explosion radius changed to 2 meters, regardless of energy level
- Fixed a bug that allowed Baptiste’s Immortality Field to be placed under a payload
- Fixed a bug where Baptiste’s Immortality Field was not destroyed when run over by the payload
- Fixed a bug where Baptiste’s Immortality Field prevented death in out of bounds areas
- Fixed a bug that allowed Baptiste’s Biotic Launcher to heal through barriers
- Fixed a bug that caused Doomfist to not lose his upward jumping movement when using Rocket Punch while in the air
- Fixed a bug that caused Doomfist to not move while using Rocket Punch if he was recently knocked backed
- Fixed a bug where Junkrat’s Steel Trap didn’t make a sound when it landed
- Fixed a bug where Lúcio’s wall jump speed was lower than expected