With the launch of PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds on Xbox and then mobile, along with Fortnite: Battle Royale‘s mobile launch and success, we’ve seen the rise of a new genre, one that appears set to take the online gaming world by storm (if it hasn’t already).
While the latter has seen a rather successful transition to other platforms, PUBG hasn’t experienced quite as smooth a sail. In fact, one could argue that Fortnite‘s sudden overtaking can be attributed to PUBG‘s bumpy Xbox launch, plagued by performance and stability issues. Maybe Fortnite is just the better game, but there’s no denying that criticism is rife, and firmly aimed at PUBG‘s recent performance woes.
The good news is that the game’s development team are working hard to get the game up and working to the standard the committed community expect, and the latest Xbox update is almost exclusively focused on this goal.
With the initial launch of PUBG on console came a revised UI, and some obvious changes to gameplay mechanics and button mapping. Moving a staunchly PC-centric game to console was always going to be a challenge.
It’s clear that there’s still a long way to go, but the latest patch seems set to kickstart the move to a smoother PUBG experience on Xbox.
“The team’s efforts on ‘Patch 11’ have been focused on continued performance optimization, and stability improvements across the family of Xbox consoles,” the developer said. “We are also introducing changes to inventory management, in an effort to increase the speed at which players can navigate menus and change their loadout.”
Check out the full list of patch notes below.
Performance / Optimization / Stability
- Implemented texture changes to improve graphical performance
- Optimized vehicle profiles to improve framerate
- Additional fixes to reduce crashes
- The layout of the inventory has been improved, adding focal points to identify selected areas, a clearer button guide and tooltips
- Improved selection of weapon slots and attachments – players can change the focus and selection by using the D-Pad
- Quick scrolling has been added by using LT/RT buttons
- A counter has been added to show the number of players remaining on the airplane
- Reminder to the community that the Varsity Jacket (also known as the PUBG5 jacket) announced last week will be rewarded to players after March 22nd 12:01AM. Look for it in your in-game inventory from March 22nd, inside the customization tab of the menu.
- Fixed issue that caused players to hear footsteps when no other players were in the vicinity
- Fixed an issue that prevented the blue zone from being displayed correctly