Overwatch has taken the world by storm, and rightly so: it’s one of the year’s best games, and certainly one of the better multiplayer shooters released over the past few years. Gamers are loving what Overwatch has to offer, and many have had a blast searching the game for Easter Eggs and other secrets.
Here are our favourite Overwatch Easter Eggs and secrets.
Overwatch character lines
- Soldier: 76’s says “Smells Like Victory“, which is an ode to the iconic Apocalypse Now. In the film, Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore, played by Robert Duvall, infamously says, “I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory” as bombs drop and people die in the backdrop.
- Soldier: 76 also says, “I love the smell of pulse munitions in the morning“, which comes from the same movie line as above.
- Hanzo seems to be a bit of a Pokemon fan. His line, “I choose you, Spirit Dragon”, is obviously an ode to the Pokemon television series’ famous like, “I choose you, Pikachu!”
- Quite the linguist and certainly the smartest of the Overwatch crew, Winston cites Shakespeare with his quote, “Once more unto the breach”, which is a reference to King Henry.
- Bastion kicks back to the brilliant film The Iron Giant with his “ALERT! ALERT!” emote, which clearly references the movie.
- Reaper loves his BBC drama. His quote, “I’m not a psychopath … I’m a high-functioning psychopath” is a reference to Sherlock‘s “I’m not a psychopath, Anderson, I’m a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research.”
- Zarya is not one to be messed with. Her line, “I will break you” is an ode to Ivan Dragon from Rocky IV.
- Torbjorn channels his inner Scotty with the line “I’m giving it all I’ve got”, which is a play on the Star Trek line, “I’m giving it all I’ve got, captain!”
- Winston knows a thing or two about space history. He channels the disastrous NASA Apollo mission with the line, “Houston? We have a problem!”
- Winston must also be an avid Marvel fan. His line, “Don’t get me angry” is an obvious ode to The Incredible Hulk.
- Mei’s frozen tactics shine through in her line, “You have to let it go”, which is an obvious reference to the film, Frozen, and its popular song, “Let it go”.
- Reaper can take down anyone. His line, “If it lives, I can kill it”, channels Arnold Schwarenggar’s famous line from Predator.
Overwatch game references
- A number of games in the arcade in Hanamura are odes to popular games from throughout the years. “Fighters of the Storm” is a reference to Heroes of the Storm, while “Super Siege Mode 3” is similar to Metal Slug, but with a StarCraft theme. “The Lost Vikings VI” is a node to Blizzard’s The Lost Vikings series, while “Soulstone Demonslayer” is a node to Diablo III.
- There is a murloc in the bottom of a soda dispenser in the Hanamura arcade.
- A large advertisement outside the arcade features a 16-bit version of StarCraft‘s Jim Raynor.
- Look out for a large murloc display advertising a ramen noodle shop. Shoot at the murloc for a surprise. There’s also murloc graffiti on the outside of the window in the Temple of Anubis.
- In the attack team’s spawn area for Temple of Anubis, there is a tablet playing Blizzard’s Hearthstone. There’s also a Zerg skull from StarCraft on the wall.
- The Horde symbol from World of Warcraft can be found in the hieroglyphics in Anubis.
- Some Blizzard game developers that worked on Overwatch have their names on locks in Watchpoint: Gibraltar.
- Goldshire Picture, Goldshire Studios and Goldshire Way on the Hollywood map all reference a town in World of Warcraft‘s Elywnn Forest. There are also a number of Alliance symbols from World of Warcraft scattered around the map.
- The names of three characters from The Lost Vikings can be found on the walk of fame outside the attacker spawn area on the Hollywood map.
- “Hero of My Storm”, a movie poster on the Hollywood map, is an obvious ode to Heroes of the Storm.
- The Diablo series is referenced on a trailer on the Hollywood map, which has the name “Tyrael” written on the site.
- Diablo-shaped pinatas litter the Dorado map.
- There is a table displaying Hearthstone on the Ilios map.
- In the restaurant on Route 66, there is a check signed by Deckard Cain from Diablo. There’s also a poster for “Diableux Hot Sauce”, another Diablo reference, as well as a comic titled “Craft from the Stars”, an obvious play on StarCraft.
- The restaurant’s soda fountain on Route 66 has a Zerg StarCraft symbol and a drink called Dr. Boom, which reverences a World of Warcraft NPC and Hearthstone legendary card.
Have you found any other Overwatch Easter Eggs and secrets? Share them in the comments below!