If you’ve made your way through Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (and kudos to you if you already have), then you might have noticed a glaring omission in the main missions: Mission 46.
The game skips over it entirely, moving to missions 47-50. It essentially gives you the game’s “real” ending, so it’s necessary if you want to finish off The Phantom Pain and tie it up with a nice pretty ribbon before moving onto something else.
How To Unlock Mission 45
Firstly, you’ll need to complete Mission 45 (dah!), but that’s easier said than done, so bear with me.
You’ll need to unlock and finish Side Op 150 to unlock Mission 45, which will open the door for you to unlock Mission 46.
To unlock Side Op 150:
1. You need to have spared Quiet at the end of Mission 11.
2. Quiet is available for the mission.
3. You have Maximum Bond with Quiet.
4. You must have seen the cutscene at Mother Base where the scientist is exiled.
5. You don’t use the front “Butterfly” design in your emblem.
Once you complete this Side Op, Mission 45 will start immediately, so make sure you’re fully prepared.
How To Unlock Missing Mission 46
Now, as mentioned above, you can “finish” the game without completing this mission, but of course, you’d want to finish it if you want to complete The Phantom Pain in all of its entirety.
1. Complete all main story Missions, including Mission 45, and Missions 47-50.
2. Complete all Side Op missions that are marked by a yellow indicator.
3. Upgrade and pimp the s**t out of Mother Base, as you’ll need to have the base up to a certain level to unlock the mission. Just keep updating it until Mission 46 is unlocked.
Mission 46 is an integral piece of The Phantom Pain puzzle, so if you want to see and experience everything there is in the game, it’s something you should consider (even if it is a bit of a pain to unlock … although, if you’ve gone that far into the game, what’s a few extra Side Op missions, eh?).