2K Sports appears to be going all-out with the PS5 and Xbox Series version of NBA 2K21. The latest unveiling of gameplay features and updates details My Player Builder changes and updates to Badges, with some familiars being “retired” while old favourites are being added to the fold.
But what of the ever-important Takeover? An integral component of the NBA 2K offering, Takeovers are, just like Badges, getting somewhat of a makeover in the next-gen version of NBA 2K21.
Gameplay director, Mike Wang, has outlined a number of key changes coming to Takeovers in the next-gen version of NBA 2K21. At a core level, the Takeover ability is available when a player gets “hot” (ie. plays really well), and has the capacity to take over the game. Depending on the Takeover chosen during the My Player Builder component, you’ll unlock/boost certain attributes for a limited period of time.
In the current-gen version of NBA 2K21, this is limited to eight general archetype-based takeovers, but it’s been extended into “24 more specific takeover abilities”. Wang explains them as “unique badges that you can fire off when you get hot”. Check out the full list below.
NBA 2K21 Next-Gen Takeovers
- Advanced Gathers – Unlocks more effective spin, euro, hop step, cradle gathers
- Finishing Moves – Able to absorb contact and finish at the rim
- Easy Blowbys – Enhances ability for slashers to beat defenders off the dribble
- Pull-Up Precision – Boosts well timed/aimed shots off the dribble
- Anklebreaking Shots – More anklebreakers off of spin and stepback jumpers
- Negative Impact – Reduces defensive impact against pull-ups and other skill shots
- Limitless Range – Extends your shooting range out to the logos
- Spot-Up Precision – Boosts well timed/aimed stationary jump shots
- Team Ratings Boost – Playmakers boost their teammates’ offensive ratings
- Team Takeover Boost – Boost your teammates’ takeover meter progress
- Team Badge Boost – Boosts your teammates’ badges up a tier
- Extreme Clamps – More stone wall and lost dribble body-up resolutions for locks
- Perimeter Badge Drop – Knocks shooting badges down a tier when you get close
- Enhanced Jump Shot Contests – Boosts your ability to contest jumpers
- Stuff Blocks – Unlocks more swat, backboard pins, and grab blocks
- Paint Intimidation – Boosts your ability to affect shots around the rim
- Interior Badge Drop – Drops opposition’s scoring badges down a tier in the paint
- Boxout Wall – Improves ability to seal off opponents for easy boards
- See the Future – Shows where missed shots are going to end up
- Glass Clearing Dimes – After rebounds, kick out passes boost your teammate’s shooting
- Power Backdowns – Easier to push defenders around when posting up
- Post Playmaking – Boost your teammates’ offensive abilities when passing out of post
- Advanced Post Moves – Easier to beat defenders with post moves
- Post Shot Daggers – Increased scoring ability with hooks, fades, shimmy shots, etc.
Takeover has also had a multi-tier system introduced, as Wang explains.
“Once you set up your ratings caps and vitals, you’ll be presented with a subset of the list above based on the type of build you made. Then you choose one ability for your primary and another for your secondary, or if you want, you can put the same ability in both slots if you want to ‘double up’ on it.”
What this means is that, when you’re in-game, your takeover meter will fill up your primary takeover slow first. Then, once filled, you can choose to activate it right away, or wait to try and fill up your secondary slot. As with the Takeover feature in all NBA 2K games, the longer you wait the more you risk losing the activation completely should your player start performing poorly. You can also wait beyond the second Takeover to fill up the Team Takeover meter.
And as a final goodbye to Kobe Bryant, the next-gen version of NBA 2K21 will feature a Mamba Mentality badge. This badge will be available once you’ve earned all of your possible badge points. The Mamba Mentality badge will allow you to take your takeovers when you want. Very Mamba-like.
What are your thoughts on the changes to Takeover in the next-gen version of NBA 2K21? Sound off in the comments below!