The Wonders of the Universe

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MicDaMan MicDaMan 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Guyver
    Guyver
      • XP 104

I find it immensely interesting and exciting reading about new discoveries in space and advancements in technology to help us travel beyond low Earth Orbit and learn more about the ever expanding universe we live in.

I will drop links, videos and more on all things to do with space, hopefully there’s others out there that will find this sort of information interesting. Please feel free to chime in a share what ever you think is cool as well.

One thing NASA does well is look after their social media accounts and they have everything covered. If you like what they do then it’s worth following their YouTube account. Each week they post a This week @NASA video listing all the highlights.

Another thing that’s making the topic of Space very interesting recently is watching all the private aerospace companies make rapid advancements with their own spaceships and tech. SpaceX is doing some awesome stuff for various communications companies and are about to launch another resupply mission to the ISS.  On the space tourism side of things Blue Origin is making impressive progress with their New Sheppard craft and just had their 3rd successful launch and landing with the same rocket http://www.space.com/32453-blue-origin-launches-and-lands-rocket-third-time.html

• This topic was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of Guyver Guyver. Reason: Youtube embedding cocked up
      Profile photo of Guyver
      Guyver
        • XP 104

Planet found with a triple star system http://www.sciencealert.com/astronomers-just-found-a-stable-planet-in-a-triple-star-system that’s some sci-fi stuff right there.

Profile photo of Guyver
        Guyver
          • XP 104

Daily space update here!

This is going to be awesome! inflatable modules for the space station with one being launched this month via SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket. http://www.space.com/32406-bigelow-beam-inflatable-habitat-ready-to-launch.html?cmpid=514630_20160404_60075896&adbid=10153425259956466&adbpl=fb&adbpr=17610706465

If this unit performs as well as the manufacture claims they they could expand or even build another space station so quickly. Even more they could use the same or similar tech to start bases on the moon and even Mars. The concept seems simple enough but I am curious to see how durable it is especially in space where it will be bombarded with solar radiation and micro meteorites that can destroy something like this and harm its occupants. having said that the materials the ISS is made off wont fare too well against a decent sized chunk of space debris.

Inflatable module

One thing you will see me posting a lot on is private companies and their achievements and progress in space exploration and technology because thanks to these guys we pretty much have ourselves another space race happening. We have companies working on mining for resources on asteroids, we have companies proving cost effective launch services for NASA and other companies and we also have a number of companies working on space tourism. Speaking of which one company that has been out of the spotlight for a while is XCOR Aerospace and their Lynx spacecraft http://www.space.com/32463-xcor-lynx-space-plane-2017.html which we should be seeing launched sometime next year.  The Lynx will be a 2 seater craft but the interesting thing about this spaceship is that it is designed to take off and land from a standard runway. It’s designed to get over 100km off the ground where its passengers can experience a few minutes of weightlessness. Not the kinda ship that will be hauling cargo into LOE but still a very cool venture none the less. I hope they get their craft up and going very soon because the more companies that will offer sub orbital flights the cheaper it will become.

Profile photo of MicDaMan
          MicDaMan
          Participant
            • XP 449

Look out moon here we come…

Profile photo of Master Fenix
            Master Fenix
              • XP 850

Profile photo of Guyver
              Guyver
                • XP 104

Jizzzzzzz! woke up this morning to news that SpaceX not only had a perfect launch to the ISS but they managed to land the first stage Falcon rocket on the drone ship! Seriously that made my morning and then some, I just love the live feed footage of the SpacceX crew just going batshit crazy when it landed those guys are so passionate about their job.

http://www.space.com/32517-spacex-sticks-rocket-landing-sea-dragon-launch.html

MicDaMan
                Participant
                  • XP 449

It’s funny I never considered that there are other company’s outside of NASA working on space expedition.

I mean I know Russia and China do. But For some reason I just always thought NASA was it!!!

Profile photo of Guyver
                  Guyver
                    • XP 104

It’s funny I never considered that there are other company’s outside of NASA working on space expedition. I mean I know Russia and China do. But For some reason I just always thought NASA was it!!!

There’s also India, Japan that have launched rockets into space and many other countries that have aerospace programs.  The private sector is doing some amazing things and thanks to them the whole industry is taking impressive leaps in progress.

MicDaMan
                    Participant
                      • XP 449

Well there you go, the only private company I knew of was Virgin Galactic :P

Profile photo of Guyver
                      Guyver
                        • XP 104

Well there you go, the only private company I knew of was Virgin Galactic :P

What’s cool is right now there’s 3 different spacecraft from 3 different companies docked to the ISS right now, the Russian Soyuz, Atlas and SpaceX Dragon.

Dragon, Atlas, Soyuz docked to the ISS

Dragon, Atlas, Soyuz docked to the ISS

Anyone who has been following space related news would have heard about the infamous “WOW signal” named after the word “wow” written next to it by its discover. After all this time there’s now an explanation to its origins and it’s not aliens…it’s comets…hmm those stupid comets seem to be taking all the fun out of everything we think could be aliens.

Alien ‘Wow!’ Signal Could Soon be Explained

Back on the topic of private companies making spacecraft and other technology for the aerospace industry I’m really excited to see the Bigelow BEAM expandable module inflate to its full size, it has recently been docked to the ISS and was delivered there by SpaceX Dragon module.

Bigelow have big plans to crate and develop their expandable module system with the B330 Module being their next goal. With this development space habitats and planetary bases will be much more easier to construct.

Bigelow Aerospace B330

Bigelow Aerospace B330

Profile photo of StuM91
                        StuM91
                        Participant
                          • XP 90

Latest SpaceX launch didn’t go to plan [sad]

MicDaMan
                          Participant
                            • XP 449

lol it was aliens …. according to FB

Profile photo of Master Fenix
                            Master Fenix
                              • XP 850

This clip always blows my mind

MicDaMan
                              Participant
                                • XP 449

Yeah… it really puts us into perspective.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.