New Gaming Consoles

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Master Fenix Master Fenix 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Master Fenix
    Master Fenix
      • XP 850

So there’s been quite a bit of hype and news about “updated” consoles from Sony and Microsoft. We also have Nintendo NX coming soon.

What do you think MS and Sony are working on? A 4K console seems legit, although seems to me like it could be like that Panasonic Gamecube, just an over expensive piece of hardware.

Rumored New Consoles Launches Seem “Imminent”, GameStop COO Says

http://wccftech.com/consoles-launches-imminent-gamestop-ceo/

Profile photo of MicDaMan
      MicDaMan
      Participant
        • XP 451

I hope they include a $2000 4K tv in price as well.

Im all for updating consoles …. but at a pace. Im still not ready for Nintendo NX

Master Fenix
          • XP 850

I hope they include a $2000 4K tv in price as well. Im all for updating consoles …. but at a pace. Im still not ready for Nintendo NX

Nintendo NX is exciting. I’m down for a Wii U hybrid with better visuals and a cracking third-party library.

Profile photo of Gryllis
          Gryllis
          Participant
            • XP 114

The more I think about it, the more I think PS4K is just a marketing ploy by Sony to promote its 4K TVs and 4K Blu-ray, and will have minimal affect on gaming.

I was surprised to learn there are no 4K blu-ray players on sale in Australia yet – streaming 4K is possible on PS4/Xbox One via things like Netflix, but they can’t play 4K blu-ray. The PS3 did well last-gen during the uptake of 1080p TVs because it was the cheapest blu-ray player for a time, and also played games. I imagine Sony is trying to replicate that by convincing people to buy a PS4K as their 4K blu-ray player. But of course, that’s only worthwhile if you have a 4K TV — so expect the “buy a 4K Bravia and get a PS4K free” promotion.

4K TVs upscale content themselves anyway, and I expect that’s all the console will do to games. I don’t see it being powerful enough to natively play new games in 4K, unless the price rises significantly from the currently AU $350~ a PS4 costs (and remember how the PS4 basically won this generation at E3 2013 for its low price, so I doubt they’re making a more expensive console mid-generation). Even if there is more processing power to improve textures or lighting, let alone native 4K, I don’t expect devs to spend too much time making alterations to games so they run differently on original PS4 and PS4K, especially since an upscaler would still look better enough to convince people in marketing materials, without them needing to do anymore work. They could have the performance adapt based on the hardware, but that’s also the reason so many PC ports are garbage, so I doubt they’ll risk making games that run poorly on the PS4 with a 40 million install base just so it looks a little better on a new variant with 0 current customers.

Master Fenix
              • XP 850

That was always what it was going to be: an upgrade and a way to ramp up marketing ahead of another Christmas period for a “new” product.

Profile photo of Maxiboy
              Maxiboy
              Participant
                • XP 144

I see the updated current gen stuff as just a way to squeeze 4k out of the current generation and re-sell the consoles to an already established market base. Games aren’t videos, they are rendered on the fly (except for when it actually is a video :P), just like the PC platform with a greater processing ability you can render at high resolutions without a drop in quality.

The NX I see as different, it really is an updated console, maybe not next gen as such, maybe more catching up to Microsoft and Sony. IMO the Wii should have had a hardware update with HDMI a few years into its life, before 2010 certainly.

I see the true 9th gen of consoles (PS5, XB?) a few years off still and I’d expect that they would be 4K ready immediately and have real support for VR. VR may bring forward the next generation sooner if the current hardware can’t keep up with more and more demanding games, and it will be VR that will push it, one headset or multiple.

Profile photo of Marty_Mate
                Marty_Mate
                Participant
                  • XP 75

I’d grab an updated Xbox One if it does 4K Blurays.

Master Fenix
                    • XP 850

I’d grab an updated Xbox One if it does 4K Blurays.

I think you’re their target market :P

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.