Nintendo Switch discussion

This topic contains 92 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gryllis Gryllis 1 day, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gryllis
    Gryllis
    Participant
      • XP 114

So I’m now very wary of the Switch.

No Mass Effect Andromeda or RDR2 and maybe Skyrim spells trouble.

Two 3rd party blockbusters out next year with no Switch support.

Smells like the Wii U.

3rd parties will put out a few token efforts at launch and take a wait and see approach. They won’t go all in unless the Switch is a sales success. Nintendo’s own efforts being on one machine instead of split between handheld and console “should” mean a more consistent output of games even without 3rd parties.

It’ll be mostly Ubisoft, a few Activision games, one each from SEGA, Capcom, and a handful of others. We’ll probably get games like Return To Arkham, Dishonored 2, DOOM on there.

Beyond that, I can definitely see it being Wii U 2.0.

I don’t think it’ll plunge to Wii U levels. It seems Nintendo might have learnt its lesson.

No second screen play and all games needing to work wiht just a controller – no motion or touch (which isn’t even confirmed) as the only option. That already makes it way easier for third parties to bring their games to Switch. No need to add some pointless gimmick.

Second, it seems like it’ll be at least able to run Xbox One/PS4 games (judging by Skyrim SE and NBA 2K17 in the trailer). We’re unsure of the specs, but if they can be run without much tinkering, that’ll also make it much easier for devs and viable for publishers. Future games need to run on both Xbox One (current weakest console) and Scorpio (soon to be most powerful console), plus the two PS4s in between. If Switch is around the mark of Xbox One, and not considerably underpowered, it’ll be much easier for devs to bring games to it. Wii U was redundant when PS4/Xbox One launched because it could only handle 360/PS3 ports: too hard. Same with Wii, it was too hard to keep releasing SD games when the rest of the generation had gone HD. If a totally seperate version doesn’t have to be made for Switch, more third party games will be released for it.

Nintendo hasn’t had hardware capable of that since GameCube, and it’s lucky both Sony and Microsoft insist on all future games being compatible with the low-end PS4 and Xbox One. If they allowed games to be exclusive to PS4 Pro and Scorpio, Nintendo would again be launching hardware too outdated for third parties to really bother with.

Third, if Switch gets the proper version of things like FIFA 18 and NBA 2K18 – not a bullshit lesser quality “Nintendo” one – people will buy it on Switch. It’d like to have the option to play FIFA on tv or as a handheld, getting the full experience. It’s awesome be so much easier to take to your friends house and each have your own screen for something like COD or Battlefield – games which otherwise can’t really be played together in the same place viably. I might consider them on Switch as well for that reason (assuming some of my gaming buddies also decide to get it on Switch).

Certainly the most promising potential for third party support, and players actually buying them on the Nintendo platform, since the GameCube was announced (of course it didn’t live up to that potential and third parties dropped away, but it wasn’t even there to begin with on Wii and Wii U, once the casual fad disappeared).

Profile photo of Barters81
      Barters81
      Participant
        • XP 118

I don’t know man. Skyrim is in doubt for being on the Switch. Footage shown on the reveal trailer was superimposed. NBA2k17 hasn’t been announced for it either which makes me a little suss.

The other thing that has me concerned is Nintendo coming out saying the Switch is primarily a home console. I mean wtf? So what was that reveal trailer all about then? Are we seeing back tracking as the device is unable to get the battery life required to be deemed a portable? Or is it a sneaky way of Nintendo not pulling down their lucrative 3DS business model heading into the holiday season?

If it is a home console first and foremost with the portability for convenience only….then why compromise so hard on tech to have it fit a portable form factor.

Look….I love the idea. I’m just confused by the way Nintendo has communicated it, and a little concerned history is repeating itself almost exactly.

As it stands I’ve gone from frothing at the mouth to get one 2 minutes after the reveal, to “Yeah….I think I’ll wait until Xmas next year and see how things play out.”

That change in attitude is a 100% pure result of Nintendo’s lack of information on the product.

Profile photo of Gryllis
        Gryllis
        Participant
          • XP 114

Surely Nintendo wouldn’t show two third party games that aren’t coming to the system? There must be a different reason they haven’t been announced (maybe because Nintendo has asked for games not to be announced? They want to announce the launch lineup in one go?)

Superimposed is not surprising for a preview. But I doubt they’d have just done random third party. In the past they’ve used tech demos of their own properties that weren’t actual games, but I don’t recall using footage of third party games that weren’t released for the platform (I’m sure some were announced for Wii U that didn’t happen in a logo montage, but not footage of it running on Wii U).

Profile photo of Master Fenix
          Master Fenix
            • XP 849

Surely Nintendo wouldn’t show two third party games that aren’t coming to the system? There must be a different reason they haven’t been announced (maybe because Nintendo has asked for games not to be announced? They want to announce the launch lineup in one go?)

Superimposed is not surprising for a preview. But I doubt they’d have just done random third party. In the past they’ve used tech demos of their own properties that weren’t actual games, but I don’t recall using footage of third party games that weren’t released for the platform (I’m sure some were announced for Wii U that didn’t happen in a logo montage, but not footage of it running on Wii U).

Maybe’s it’s not Skyrim?

But it’s definitely Skyrim.

Barters81
            Participant
              • XP 118

From looking at the initial Wii U reveal trailer I’m thinking we should all be taking anything Nintendo tell us from these things with a grain of salt.

Master Fenix
                • XP 849

From looking at the initial Wii U reveal trailer I’m thinking we should all be taking anything Nintendo tell us from these things with a grain of salt.

I think that in the case of that trailer, it was a fairly accurate representation of what we got. Nothing in that trailer really made us go, ‘WOW I MUST HAVE THAT’. It was almost just, “Oh, that’s cool…” And it’s not like they showcased AAA games. The problem was not that they lied about what the Wii U was capable of. They just set really high expectations of what was possible. No one ended up making that golf game.

With the Switch, I think they’ve flat-out lied about the capabilities. It still looks awesome and I’m the most interested I’ve been in Nintendo since Gamecube, but we’re not getting Skyrim on there.

Aside from that, though, I feel it was a fairly basic showcase of what it’s capable of.

Barters81
                Participant
                  • XP 118

There was a good article I read off of N4G the other day but can’t find again unfortunately that focused on all the stuff that was promised for the Wii U that never occurred. Quite a number of games, a lot of features.

In terms of the Wii U trailer, I remember people going nuts cause the Zelda demo was in there……aka Skyrim for the Switch.

I really don’t think they should be showing anything on the system that isn’t actually going to be on the system. You, I and others in the know know better than to believe it, but others not so much.

Master Fenix
                    • XP 849

There was a good article I read off of N4G the other day but can’t find again unfortunately that focused on all the stuff that was promised for the Wii U that never occurred. Quite a number of games, a lot of features.

In terms of the Wii U trailer, I remember people going nuts cause the Zelda demo was in there……aka Skyrim for the Switch.

I really don’t think they should be showing anything on the system that isn’t actually going to be on the system. You, I and others in the know know better than to believe it, but others not so much.

That Zelda footage was actually a tech demo. I played it at E3 2012. It was just like a single dungeon level.

Profile photo of Gryllis
                    Gryllis
                    Participant
                      • XP 114

The Zelda demo was just that, a demo, and it never pretended to be an actual game, much like Mario 128. I think it was just a bit misreported and people assumed footage must have meant game. Very clear at E3 that it wasn’t an actual game, just what Wii U’s power was capable of.

@barters81 that trailer is an excellent example of how Nintendo really fluffed the marketing of Wii U. Basically using modified Wii games to show it off — it looks like an add-on for Wii (and maybe an optional HD upgrade, which was rumoured for years, to the observant viewer). Doesn’t come across as a new-generation console at all.

I think that’s why we still don’t know so much about Switch. They wanted to show it’s definitely new, and aim it at adults, in the initial announcement (there will be a push towards kids/families after launch, for the Christmas 2017 period). Not show too much to risk muddling the message — we know it is new. If they showed motion or touchscreens, it might have seemed like another DS/Wii family product, keeping them going into a third generation. So I think that’s why we haven’t seen that yet, so Nintendo can show it’s done with Wii/DS and moving on to something actually new after 10-12 years.

Master Fenix
                        • XP 849
                        Master Fenix
                          • XP 849
                          Barters81
                          Participant
                            • XP 118

Yeah wow…..certainly looked like the real thing, especially when he clicks off the joycon.

Him mentioning that he is about to get sued was probably true if it was real.

Profile photo of Marty_Mate
                            Marty_Mate
                            Participant
                              • XP 75

Barters81
                              Participant
                                • XP 118

So the Switch was on the Late Show last night giving Jimmy Fallon the opportunity to play it live.

Also to recap some juicy rumours of late on the Switch. Remember that these are just rumours. I won’t link to resources as you only need google these things and there is a bunch of sites for each topic.

– Dev kits are being sent out to the wider developer audience
                                – Battery life increased since previous dev kits
                                – 720p screen on handheld, dock enables a higher power mode to generate 1080p visuals
                                – Skyrim confirmed for launch
                                – Zelda delayed to mid year 2017
                                – Dark Souls trilogy remastered coming
                                – long shot rumour that new Mass Effect will be on it next year
                                – Gamecube VC games
                                – Remastered version of Xenoblades Chronicles X coming

So yeah……the hype train is well and truly off again.

Profile photo of Bootie101
                                Bootie101
                                Participant
                                  • XP 107

zelda looks great:D im pretty hyped for switch tbh

Master Fenix
                                    • XP 849

Live stream happening this Friday, 3pm AEST.

I will be going to a media event on the Saturday to go hands-on.

Profile photo of Gryllis
                                    Gryllis
                                    Participant
                                      • XP 114

I hope there isn’t too much of a reliance on remasters at launch and there is some decent new stuff. That said, I want GameCube VC games there (and upscaled to 720/1080p, like PS2 Classic on PS4). I’d love to play Super Mario Sunshine again, and since Nintendo probably isn’t going to remaster it, that’d be the next best thing (and really I’d probably prefer to play ~$20 for a Gamecube VC version upscaled, rather than $80 for a full remaster).

Master Fenix
                                        • XP 849

You can watch it here:

Who’s going to be watching?

Marty_Mate
                                        Participant
                                          • XP 75

You can watch it here:

Who’s going to be watching?

I’ll be watching for sure.

Barters81
                                          Participant
                                            • XP 118

Holy crap!!!!! Are you all watching this Mario reveal?

I’m throwing my money at the screen and nothing is happening.

Barters81
                                            Participant
                                              • XP 118

Bugger…….my son’s birthday is the 8th of March.

My preordered Switch will most likely go to him. :(

Marty_Mate
                                              Participant
                                                • XP 75

Was mostly a boring presentation with some awesome sprinkled in.

Barters81
                                                Participant
                                                  • XP 118

After looking at the price and reflecting on it a bit more……I think I will cancel my preorder.

My thinking….

470 for the console + 90 for a pro controller + 90 for Zelda + 120 decent sd card + 100 second joy con set + online sub…..Yeah it’s not cheap. Plus I would really want a second dock to utilize the core functionality.

Actually if you subtract the individual accessory prices from the console cost which comes with them…..The console itself is worth next to nothing.

Having the kids easily move between TV’s was a big deal for me.

Shouldn’t have traded in my Wii u, got Zelda for that and be done with Nintendo for a while.

Also……And this is the sad part, I just can’t see this being successful mainly due to price. As a parent I would just about have to buy two of these!!!

Master Fenix
                                                    • XP 849

I’ve got some more coverage coming today. It’s a very hard sell.

Your point about it being worth nothing actually makes a lot of sense. The problem with releasing a console like this and this point is that if you rely on third-party games to sell it, they need to be exclusive in some way. The Xbox had Ryse, PS4 had Killzone and Knack among others. There were unique and interesting new titles there against a bunch of third-party games no one had played yet.

Switch will launch with two fillers in Arms and 1 2 Switch, Zelda, and FIFA. If you own a Wii U, are you relying spending $500 to play Zelda?

Marty_Mate
                                                    Participant
                                                      • XP 75

Switch will launch with two fillers in Arms and 1 2 Switch, Zelda, and FIFA. If you own a Wii U, are you relying spending $500 to play Zelda?

Arms and Fifa aren’t launch games. The launch is Zelda, Just Dance, Sklanders, 1 2 Switch and Bomberman.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.