Xbox One S

This topic contains 32 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Marty_Mate Marty_Mate 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Master Fenix
    Master Fenix
      • XP 926

Number of reports doing the rounds today.

Two new Xbox devices coming in the next month and in 2017.

1. First device will be a Chromecast-like ‘stick’ that plugs into TVs and streams movies, shows, Windows apps and Xbox games from your Xbox One console.

2. The second device is rumoured to be a beefier streaming box, like Apple TV, which might be able to run more demanding Windows apps in addition to the functionality offered by the streaming stick.

From Kotaku:

Sources say that instead of one hardware revision every five years or so, as has been the case with previous console cycles, Microsoft plans to move towards an incremental model, with more frequent hardware releases and games that are both forwards and backwards compatible across both Windows 10 and different Xbox models.

Profile photo of Gryllis
      Gryllis
      Participant
        • XP 114

Happy with this for many, many reasons.

1. The console cycle needs to evolve to remain relevant. Most people get a new, more powerful phone every 2 years that costs way more than a console – so why keep that for 6 years?

2. If the rumours are true, it’s launching 4 years after the Xbox One. That’s about the same gap as Xbox > 360 and GC > Wii. It was only last-gen that was much longer than that.

3. It’s better than a new console. There’s no pressing need to upgrade if you don’t want to/can’t afford it. But if you want the absolute best, the option is there – you don’t need to wait another 2 years or buy a powerful PC to be getting the best out of 2017-20 games. Plus, your current console isn’t made redundant if you do upgrade. It can still play all (probably) of the games, but running on the equivalent of the min specs rather than the new recommended. Put it in a bedroom, leave it at your parents house, give it to your sibling, sneakily take it to work — whatever, the console you currently have will still be useful because this isn’t a total new generation.

4. It’ll keep this generation going longer (maybe 7 years instead of the 5-6 it felt like it would have) and MS has released the days of a new console resetting everything are over. All Xbox One games, and a good deal of 360 probably, will be compatible on the next full console (and I suspect that will have upgradeable components). With more games this gen than I first anticipated, that’s a good thing.

5. It should be the end of being inundated with remasters. If this incremental upgrade ensures games are playable across both, and then that continues moving forward, there is no need to port games to the next console.

6. It’s happened before! N64 expansion pak, for example. Most recently New 3DS, which was fairly pointless, but similar idea. The big difference here: no exclusive games to the new hardware, and that’s where Nintendo went wrong trying to do it.

7. Better than just a “slim”. MS and Sony released 3 revised versions of the PS3/360 (and several more minor tweaks to them), but there wasn’t really a reason to upgrade. There will be an Xbox One Slim as well, but I like this upgrade idea a lot more.

Profile photo of Maxiboy
        Maxiboy
        Participant
          • XP 163

3. It’s better than a new console. There’s no pressing need to upgrade if you don’t want to/can’t afford it. But if you want the absolute best, the option is there – you don’t need to wait another 2 years or buy a powerful PC to be getting the best out of 2017-20 games. Plus, your current console isn’t made redundant if you do upgrade. It can still play all (probably) of the games, but running on the equivalent of the min specs rather than the new recommended. Put it in a bedroom, leave it at your parents house, give it to your sibling, sneakily take it to work — whatever, the console you currently have will still be useful because this isn’t a total new generation.

I think this is a great thing to happen to the platform, run games in a higher resolution like a more powerful PC if it can handle it. I think we can thank the current architecture being closer to a PC for scalability when previous consoles used custom chips.

Master Fenix
            • XP 926

Happy with this for many, many reasons.

1. The console cycle needs to evolve to remain relevant. Most people get a new, more powerful phone every 2 years that costs way more than a console – so why keep that for 6 years?

2. If the rumours are true, it’s launching 4 years after the Xbox One. That’s about the same gap as Xbox > 360 and GC > Wii. It was only last-gen that was much longer than that.

4. It’ll keep this generation going longer (maybe 7 years instead of the 5-6 it felt like it would have) and MS has released the days of a new console resetting everything are over. All Xbox One games, and a good deal of 360 probably, will be compatible on the next full console (and I suspect that will have upgradeable components). With more games this gen than I first anticipated, that’s a good thing.

5. It should be the end of being inundated with remasters. If this incremental upgrade ensures games are playable across both, and then that continues moving forward, there is no need to port games to the next console.

6. It’s happened before! N64 expansion pak, for example. Most recently New 3DS, which was fairly pointless, but similar idea. The big difference here: no exclusive games to the new hardware, and that’s where Nintendo went wrong trying to do it.

7. Better than just a “slim”. MS and Sony released 3 revised versions of the PS3/360 (and several more minor tweaks to them), but there wasn’t really a reason to upgrade. There will be an Xbox One Slim as well, but I like this upgrade idea a lot more.

*nudge nudge*

http://fenixbazaar.com/submit-a-blog

Profile photo of Severus
            Severus
            Participant
              • XP 54

This will be my dream come true, an “upgradeable” console is more cost effective without having to buy a “new” console for it would be better.
              Next time design a console that’s capable of an easy swap over of its cpu and stuff.

Master Fenix
                • XP 926

This will be my dream come true, an “upgradeable” console is more cost effective without having to buy a “new” console for it would be better.
                Next time design a console that’s capable of an easy swap over of its cpu and stuff.

It seems to be going in that direction (upgradeable consoles rather than completely new consoles).

Profile photo of Tyrus
                Tyrus
                Participant
                  • XP 19

Not sure what I think about these new 1.5 upgrades for Sony (Neo) and Microsoft (Scorpio). Got my individual doubts about both of them, but seeing as how this is the Xbox One forum…

I feel like Microsoft is making Xbox more of a gaming brand service of Windows 10 rather than its own unique console going forward (all first-party exclusives coming to Windows 10 PC as well, etc) and whatever the new device ends up being, I reckon it’s a sure thing it will represent this direction.

Some like this new direction, but I’m very disinterested with it and quite frankly, makes me annoyed I bought an XB1 less than two years ago when I could have just invested in my gaming PC further, or just have waited until this announcement. I suppose I can’t read the future, but anyway.

Will a new upgraded Xbox One stand toe-to-toe with a competitor (Neo) which has similar specs yet again, with a wider game library? Xbox One seems to be the first console in existence without much of its own unique identity software-wise (abandoned Kinect titles, Halo, Forza, Gears and one or two odd-ball exclusives aside, everything is also on Windows 10 PC so it’s primarily a multiplatform console). Or will it just be bought up for the controller and Xbox Live preference?

Master Fenix
                    • XP 926

Not sure what I think about these new 1.5 upgrades for Sony (Neo) and Microsoft (Scorpio). Got my individual doubts about both of them, but seeing as how this is the Xbox One forum…

I feel like Microsoft is making Xbox more of a gaming brand service of Windows 10 rather than its own unique console going forward (all first-party exclusives coming to Windows 10 PC as well, etc) and whatever the new device ends up being, I reckon it’s a sure thing it will represent this direction.

Some like this new direction, but I’m very disinterested with it and quite frankly, makes me annoyed I bought an XB1 less than two years ago when I could have just invested in my gaming PC further, or just have waited until this announcement. I suppose I can’t read the future, but anyway.

Will a new upgraded Xbox One stand toe-to-toe with a competitor (Neo) which has similar specs yet again, with a wider game library? Xbox One seems to be the first console in existence without much of its own unique identity software-wise (abandoned Kinect titles, Halo, Forza, Gears and one or two odd-ball exclusives aside, everything is also on Windows 10 PC so it’s primarily a multiplatform console). Or will it just be bought up for the controller and Xbox Live preference?

imo MS has been trying to blend both Xbox and Windows 10 together since between the XBox One even existed. There were murmurs and and stream play has been around for a while. The dropped XBL branding from Windows a long time ago so this sort of blending together was always going to happen imo.

I’d probably recommend a PS4 for people who weren’t particularly keen on Windows/Xbox integration. If you weren’t already into Xbox, there’s little chance you’ll be interested in it now.

Profile photo of Barters81
                    Barters81
                    Participant
                      • XP 112

Not having invested in a Xbone at this point, I’ll probably grab one of these when they come out. Cuphead looks great.

Profile photo of Marty_Mate
                      Marty_Mate
                      Participant
                        • XP 79

Slim leaked: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/06/xbox-one-slim-leaks-will-be-40-smaller-than-xbox-one/
                        Hoping that it supports 4K bluray and not just streaming.

Barters81
                        Participant
                          • XP 112

So Scorpio is said to support 4K gaming? I’ll believe it when I see it.

I’ll definitely get one though. Nice work MS…….you have my money.

Profile photo of Severus
                          Severus
                          Participant
                            • XP 54

MS hasn’t admitted it yet, but they are moving onto the next gen console with Scorpio yeah?

I mean, there’s no way that can just be an “upgrade” with all that mojo they’re proposing, and they never called it an Xbox One in any shape or form! It may play Xbox One discs, which is worded differently as ‘backwards compatible’. They’d better own up by next e3.

Profile photo of danbee
                            danbee
                            Participant
                              • XP 25

New Gears Xbox One S

Master Fenix
                                • XP 926
                                Marty_Mate
                                Participant
                                  • XP 79

I bought Batman Vs Superman 4K today in preparation for my Xbox One S on the 2nd of August. [cool]

Profile photo of DarkSoulReaverZ
                                  DarkSoulReaverZ
                                  Participant
                                    • XP 14

Looking forward to next weeks launch of the Xbox Slim next week, day before my birthday too!

I hope the 4K bluray player is up to scratch as both the Xbone and Ps4 featured poor bluray players. I mean i bought a £100 dedicated Sony bluray player (not a lot really) and it blew the consoles away for picture quality.

Master Fenix
                                      • XP 926

Looking forward to next weeks launch of the Xbox Slim next week, day before my birthday too!

I hope the 4K bluray player is up to scratch as both the Xbone and Ps4 featured poor bluray players. I mean i bought a £100 dedicated Sony bluray player (not a lot really) and it blew the consoles away for picture quality.

@oliver I suspect it might be better than the launch console players, but console players are always of a lesser quality, let’s be honest.

TBH I want it simply for the internal power brick. I hate it how it is at the moment.

Marty_Mate
                                      Participant
                                        • XP 79

The Xbox One S isn’t 4K out of the box and requires an update to enable 4K.
                                        Not a big deal but a little strange I think.

Master Fenix
                                          • XP 926

The Xbox One S isn’t 4K out of the box and requires an update to enable 4K.
                                          Not a big deal but a little strange I think.

Yeah, small update, and upscales games.

Master Fenix
                                            • XP 926

Netflix app has been updated to support 4K and HDR.

Marty_Mate
                                            Participant
                                              • XP 79

It’s, it’s beautiful [love]

Master Fenix
                                                • XP 926

Did you buy one?

Marty_Mate
                                                Participant
                                                  • XP 79

Did you buy one?

Yep. It’s a great looking console.

It seems some games benefit from the small amount of extra horsepower in the S.
                                                  http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-xbox-one-s-has-a-gpu-overclock-and-we-have-benchmarked-it

Barters81
                                                  Participant
                                                    • XP 112

So I just bought a Xbox One S, pretty much purely as a UHD Blu-ray player. The fact it plays games is simply a bonus……sort of like how my original purchase of the PS3 was looked at.

Now I’m just waiting for my TV to be delivered. Stupid 70 inch TV not fitting in the car. :)

FWIW I got a 7000 series 70″ Hisense 4K TV. One thing that is interesting to note is that none of these TVs being displayed have the new firmware update allowing HDR from HDMI. Hence pretty much no store is displaying what the TV is capable of truly. Went the 70″ as it is direct lit….and it’s 70″.

Marty_Mate
                                                    Participant
                                                      • XP 79

So I just bought a Xbox One S, pretty much purely as a UHD Blu-ray player. The fact it plays games is simply a bonus……sort of like how my original purchase of the PS3 was looked at.

Now I’m just waiting for my TV to be delivered. Stupid 70 inch TV not fitting in the car. :)

FWIW I got a 7000 series 70″ Hisense 4K TV. One thing that is interesting to note is that none of these TVs being displayed have the new firmware update allowing HDR from HDMI. Hence pretty much no store is displaying what the TV is capable of truly. Went the 70″ as it is direct lit….and it’s 70″.

Wow! 70″ is huuuuge. The update has started rolling out in the UK so hopefully we won’t be far behind.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.