Independence Day Resurgence

This topic contains 28 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Leasha Leasha 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Master Fenix
    Master Fenix
      • XP 923

New trailer:

Profile photo of MicDaMan
      MicDaMan
      Participant
        • XP 452

I am wanting BBBIIIGGG things from this movie…. The original was the schnizzzzal in my day!!!!

Master Fenix
          • XP 923

I am wanting BBBIIIGGG things from this movie…. The original was the schnizzzzal in my day!!!!

I watch it every few months. Pity the director hasn’t done anything worthwhile since :P Hopefully they redeem themselves with this :p Could be amazing.

MicDaMan
          Participant
            • XP 452

Im trying to not watch any of the trailers. I want to go in to this not knowing a thing. I dont wantto build the hype up and be let down.

Master Fenix
              • XP 923

Im trying to not watch any of the trailers. I want to go in to this not knowing a thing. I dont wantto build the hype up and be let down.

I admire people who do that :P I watched the Star Wars trailer a million times and it ruined key plot points…  [sad]

Profile photo of Leasha
              Leasha
              Participant
                • XP 280

Oh Tano I know you so badly want this to be good, but I just get disappointment from it :(

Master Fenix
                  • XP 923

This is pretty great.

Profile photo of Leasha
                  Leasha
                  Participant
                    • XP 280

I actually enjoyed that video, however I got a very strong Starship Troopers vibe….

Not sure if that’s good or bad

Master Fenix
                      • XP 923

I actually enjoyed that video, however I got a very strong Starship Troopers vibe…. Not sure if that’s good or bad

Yeah, that jokish propaganda video. I think this is just viral marketing stuff though, it’s not in Roland Emmerich style to do off-beat humour like Starship Troopers, Robocop etc.

Profile photo of Leasha
                      Leasha
                      Participant
                        • XP 280

No of course not, I just loved the vibe from it though

I guess at this point I have maybe one foot on the hype train

Master Fenix
                          • XP 923

Profile photo of Leasha
                          Leasha
                          Participant
                            • XP 280

Saw a trailer for this the other day when I saw X-Men

Looked rather impressive on the big screen- I’m getting some hype

Master Fenix
                              • XP 923

Saw a trailer for this the other day when I saw X-Men

Looked rather impressive on the big screen- I’m getting some hype

It looks so good. Been waiting for a big Hollywood alien invasion flick for a while.

MicDaMan
                              Participant
                                • XP 452

Oh gawd I am hanging out for this…. only 9 days to goooooo…

My mate was all excited about going to see it, so we are having a man date!!!!

Master Fenix
                                  • XP 923

Oh gawd I am hanging out for this…. only 9 days to goooooo…

My mate was all excited about going to see it, so we are having a man date!!!!

I’m hoping for some midnight showings. Doesn’t appear anyone is doing it though…

Master Fenix
                                    • XP 923

Getting around the same reviews at the first film: good, but with little emotional weight.

I guess I’ll love it, then!

MicDaMan
                                    Participant
                                      • XP 452

Going to see it tomorrow…. squeal!!!!!

Master Fenix
                                        • XP 923

Going to see it tomorrow…. squeal!!!!!

Haha same! Pretty pumped for it.

Master Fenix
                                          • XP 923

Just saw it.

It was…okay.

Spoiler:
                                          I like how they set it up with multiple films, and that they’ll go into space and all that, but that white sphere thing and everything felt like a Matrix Creator moment to me.
                                          Profile photo of Severus
                                          Severus
                                          Participant
                                            • XP 54

Gonna wait for bluray instead.

Master Fenix
                                              • XP 923

Also, what I found utterly ridiculous:

Spoiler:
                                              In the first film they make it pretty clear that they want our planet because it has oxygen and it suits them. They attack us to exterminate us. But in this film, they land one ship and start drilling because they want our molten core to “enhance their technology”. So basically they’re moving from planet to planet, ripping each of natural resources, and moving on. Why didn’t they just do that in the first film then? It seemed like a waste to land hundreds of ships, when they could have just landed one like they did in Resurgence. Mind you, they got within 2 minutes (literally) of destroying the planet. Makes the whole film seem pointless from the aliens point of view.
                                              MicDaMan
                                              Participant
                                                • XP 452

Watched it last night. Not bad full of action and humour.

Yeah sure it just sets up for more films…but still I liked it.

I didn’t rewatch the original on purpose, so I could watch this with an open mind and not comparing it too much to the first. But a couple of plot points were a bit suss.

Spoiler:
                                                I really didn’t like how they just whimsically killed off Hiller in a “LAUNCH accident”. He was the main character in the fist film. I think he need more of an inclusion.

I also didn’t like the way that Whitmore was portrayed. Make him out to be this old senile nut job, next minute he’s off sneaking in to talk to aliens, and then allowed to fly a tug in the most important mission in the last 20 years. WTF

Oh and Mr Levison doesn’t even look likes he has aged in the last 20 years :P

Master Fenix
                                                  • XP 923

Watched it last night. Not bad full of action and humour.

Yeah sure it just sets up for more films…but still I liked it.

I didn’t rewatch the original on purpose, so I could watch this with an open mind and not comparing it too much to the first. But a couple of plot points were a bit suss.

Spoiler
                                                  I really didn’t like how they just whimsically killed off Hiller in a “LAUNCH accident”. He was the main character in the fist film. I think he need more of an inclusion.

I also didn’t like the way that Whitmore was portrayed. Make him out to be this old senile nut job, next minute he’s off sneaking in to talk to aliens, and then allowed to fly a tug in the most important mission in the last 20 years. WTF

Oh and Mr Levison doesn’t even look likes he has aged in the last 20 years :P

[collapse]
                                                  Spoiler:
                                                  Yeah, it was very lazy in how it kind of reintroduced a lot of the characters. Papa Levison was actually a pointless character. I mean, I liked how they made him out to be some nutty old guy trying to cash in on the first invasion, and I liked that he acted like he “Saved the world” (because in a way he did, he gave David the idea to infect the mother ship with a virus).

As for President Whitmore, I agree that it was silly to have him be all senile and out of his mind and then suddenly piloting a ship to save the world. But it was a bit of an afterthought in all the craziness. You don’t really realise it as you’re watching it, at least I didn’t until I thought about it after.

As for Hiller, I don’t really see how else they could have done it. But to have him die in a standard launch accident, despite the fact he survived a fricken nuclear explosion IN SPACE is so dumb. He went from being literally the luckiest man on the planet, to one of the unluckiest lol But yeah, how else could they have explained it?

One thing that stood out for me above all else as I mentioned above was just the general point of the invasion. In the first film Whitmore says, “They’re moving from planet to planet”. But there was no mention of them drilling. That’s a pretty important plot point. Then in this film, “Oh yeah, 20 years ago they were drilling!” Well wouldn’t that have been a more important thing to stop then to try and take out the city-sized ships? The point of this movie was to stop the drilling, and to do that they had to kill the Queen. But in the first film they were also apparently drilling, but it was all about trying to take down the city-sized ships. It was just a lazy way to explain it all. I think a better way to have done it would have been to keep it simple and simply have them invading to colonise and using human thoughts to expand their knowledge and improve their technology. Extracting molten core to enhance their tech? That sounds ridiculous. Especially considering you can just produce that same level of energy without having to DIG INTO A PLANET! This alien race can travel across the damn universe, but they can’t artificially create the same energy found in the core of EVERY SINGLE PLANET IN THE UNIVERSE!? Beyond dumb lol

I think that *objectively* it was a pretty stupid movie, it lacked the “wow” factor of the original and felt almost like a Transformers movie. There wasn’t as much mystery.

That said, it was still stupid fun. It’s a solid 2.5/5 for me.

Profile photo of Leasha
                                                  Leasha
                                                  Participant
                                                    • XP 280

Planning on seeing this tomorrow…..

Should I save my pennies?

Profile photo of danbee
                                                    danbee
                                                    Participant
                                                      • XP 25

Planning on seeing this tomorrow…..

Should I save my pennies?

Did you enjoy it?

I thought it was a lot of fun. Not as good as the original but they never are!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.