Nintendo Switch discussion

This topic contains 87 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Master Fenix Master Fenix 1 day, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Master Fenix
    Master Fenix
      • XP 926

I don’t get the removable controls bit to be honest. At first I thought it would be a cool concept for a portable console to allow some sort of local co-op, but any version of removable controls I’ve seen look uncomfortable at best.

Anyone else getting a feeling that Nintendo are going to announce the thing the day before it comes out? Surely in this day and age the secret couldn’t be kept up until that point though.

In reality, I’m guessing it will be delayed due to a lack of software on release.

They won’t. Doesn’t work like that anymore because of the internet. Also, I doubt investors would be happy with so limited marketing investment to get the console active. They will announce and reveal it at the end of October imo, and release in March 2017.

Profile photo of Barters81
      Barters81
      Participant
        • XP 112
        Master Fenix
          • XP 926

http://www.ibtimes.com/nintendo-nx-launching-oct-21-new-report-claims-5th-year-anniversary-nintendo-direct-2425734

Dodgy news I know, but the thought is out there.

Highly doubtful we’ll see an October launch. You’d think they’d announce it before Christmas. It’s out there now and they have to confirm launch details to appease investors, of which Nintendo is tied more to than diehard fans would care to admit.

The logic behind it being announced in the Direct seems plausible, but I doubt it’s because of the anniversary. I just think it’s because it’s Direct, and they will of course us that to spruke big new games and hardware.

Master Fenix
            • XP 926

boogie2988 spoke about the NX, claiming he has info from multiple sources:

“I’ve talked to two people who have used it. One is from Ubisoft and he said programming for it is actually really nice and Nintendo is working very closely with him and that the concept is great because he said, you could play… Uh, I dunno how careful I should be with it… Let’s say you could play Assassin’s Creed once you have your handheld plugged into your console. And then, you could then detach the thing and take it with you and play the Assassin’s Creed mobile game out of your pocket. And then when you get back home, plug it directly in and now it attaches back to the… That’s brilliant. That’s smart, right? Taking a form of the game with you as you go. So he says it’s a dream to code for. And then somebody I know who’s played on the NX for 20 minutes said… It’s as innovative as they’d hoped and ‘we wish we had done that.”

Barters81
            Participant
              • XP 112

The best thing from that video is the “its a dream to code for”. Bring back the days of more games than you can think of.

Not sure if it will be successful though if the game you play while on the go is in essence a mobile game. People can already do that these days with companion apps etc.

Profile photo of Harry
              Harry
              Participant
                • XP 28

I’ve been trying to keep a tab on all the rumours that have been going around with the NX. So hard though, so much misinformation and misdirection from supposed “industry sources”

I think it’s pretty certain it will be revealed by the end of the month though.

Master Fenix
                  • XP 926

I’ve been trying to keep a tab on all the rumours that have been going around with the NX. So hard though, so much misinformation and misdirection from supposed “industry sources”

I think it’s pretty certain it will be revealed by the end of the month though.

I also think much of what’s been leaked is semi-legit. A lot of people put their reputation on the line by amplifying these rumours.

Master Fenix
                    • XP 926

Rumor: Nintendo NX May Hook Up to Your TV Just Like Chromecast

With all the rumors that have emerged over the past quarter, it’s becoming difficult to determine what’s credible.

Recent reports have indicated that NX will be a portable unit, with detachable controllers. The form factor is a significant change from previous Nintendo iterations that most purists are still finding it hard to accept. And now a new report from a French website Gameblog has obtained information that indicates the portable portion may be taking a page out of Chromecast’s playbook.

If you haven’t been keeping up to date with Google’s technology, it’s a streaming device that users hook directly up to TV’s HDMI port. The dongle picks up streaming content from your PC or mobile device.

Several sources informed Gameblog that the NX will use a similar technology to allow users to play games on the big screen. The idea sounds feasible, since there have been multiple reports indicating that Nintendo is looking to move away from the conventional form factor of a console.

While I do consider the concept of the NX cool in theory, I am very concerned about the latency issues. Even with a very fast home internet connection (230 Mbps for download), Chromecast does occasionally suffer hiccups. If Nintendo does plan to take this route, this could become a major headache—which quite frankly—the company can’t really afford if they want the NX to succeed.

There’s still so many questions that I have about the NX, such as whether Nintendo is planning to support VR technology, cross-platform, as well as the recent partnership established with DeNA. Fans are hoping that the company will present some form of press conference before the month ends.

https://pvplive.net/c/rumor-nx-may-support-technology-similar-to-chromec

Barters81
                    Participant
                      • XP 112

Rumor: Nintendo NX May Hook Up to Your TV Just Like Chromecast

With all the rumors that have emerged over the past quarter, it’s becoming difficult to determine what’s credible.

Recent reports have indicated that NX will be a portable unit, with detachable controllers. The form factor is a significant change from previous Nintendo iterations that most purists are still finding it hard to accept. And now a new report from a French website Gameblog has obtained information that indicates the portable portion may be taking a page out of Chromecast’s playbook.

If you haven’t been keeping up to date with Google’s technology, it’s a streaming device that users hook directly up to TV’s HDMI port. The dongle picks up streaming content from your PC or mobile device.

Several sources informed Gameblog that the NX will use a similar technology to allow users to play games on the big screen. The idea sounds feasible, since there have been multiple reports indicating that Nintendo is looking to move away from the conventional form factor of a console.

While I do consider the concept of the NX cool in theory, I am very concerned about the latency issues. Even with a very fast home internet connection (230 Mbps for download), Chromecast does occasionally suffer hiccups. If Nintendo does plan to take this route, this could become a major headache—which quite frankly—the company can’t really afford if they want the NX to succeed.

There’s still so many questions that I have about the NX, such as whether Nintendo is planning to support VR technology, cross-platform, as well as the recent partnership established with DeNA. Fans are hoping that the company will present some form of press conference before the month ends.

https://pvplive.net/c/rumor-nx-may-support-technology-similar-to-chromec

Hmm…….hopefully this week for a reveal? Probably dreaming.

Profile photo of Marty_Mate
                      Marty_Mate
                      Participant
                        • XP 79

NX reveal is TONIGHT!!!!

Master Fenix
                          • XP 926

NX reveal is TONIGHT!!!!

Betting it’ll be nothing more than a showcase of the console and maybe some gameplay footage. @gryllis is convinced we won’t get specs.

Marty_Mate
                          Participant
                            • XP 79

NX reveal is TONIGHT!!!!

Betting it’ll be nothing more than a showcase of the console and maybe some gameplay footage. @gryllis is convinced we won’t get specs.

Nintendo describe it as a “first glimpse” So I’m figuring the physical look of the console and basic features and not much more.

Profile photo of StuM91
                            StuM91
                            Participant
                              • XP 102

Yay Skyrim.

Barters81
                              Participant
                                • XP 112

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2016/10/20/the-nintendo-nx-is-the-nintendo-switch-watch-the-reveal-trailer-right-here/#1bff0db633c6

Yay!! So the rumours were pretty much smack on.

The concept looks great and something I can see both my kids having. I mean….I wish I had one when I was a kid I could just imagine the epic sleep overs.

My main concerns are:

– battery life
                                – overall power of the device. It looks pretty good on the trailer, but still unconvinced
                                – 3rd party support. Nintendo always crap on about support (Wii U) but it dies off.
                                – durability. The idea of clicking controls on and off concerns me a little with longevity.
                                – newer models coming down the pipeline. New Switch XL?

Having said that, it won’t stop me getting one on launch day. And possibly another 2 for my kids at various times of Xmas and birthdays.

Overall, I’m pretty stoked for no other reason apart from that bit of the trailer on the plane. I travel a lot and could see myself playing BOTW on the plane for sure.

So….what games did we see in the trailer?

– New Mario
                                – Splatoon
                                – Mario Kart
                                – Skyrim
                                – NBA Live (I’m guessing it was Live?)
                                – BOTW

Master Fenix
                                  • XP 926
                                  Profile photo of MicDaMan
                                  MicDaMan
                                  Participant
                                    • XP 454

I dont like the look of it

Profile photo of Maxiboy
                                    Maxiboy
                                    Participant
                                      • XP 163

I like this NES theme concept… at least I think its a fan made concept.

Master Fenix
                                        • XP 926

I like this NES theme concept… at least I think its a fan made concept.

Definitely a fan design.

I don’t mind it. I think that for what it is, it looks quite good.

Profile photo of Gryllis
                                        Gryllis
                                        Participant
                                          • XP 114

Still so much we don’t know, but I’m really excited for it — finally a Nintendo HD handheld!

It’s exactly what they should do. Both Wii U and 3DS suffered because Nintendo could only supporter one at a time. So it felt like one was getting good support for 6-12 months, while the other got nothing, and then they switched. And in the last 2 years, they basically got the same games. They became the same thing (with a few still exclusive to 3DS, like Pokemon, but most they have shared games or equivalent games, like Mario Kart 7 to 8). One platform is the way to go.

Curious to know the specs and price before I pre-order. Seeing how I’ll mostly use it as a handheld — I pretty much entirely played Wii U off-tv, I’m not expecting it to compete with consoles, certainly not now with PS4 Pro and the impending Xbox Scorpio taking things up a notch. But I hope it’s not underpowered to the extent it’s held back for third parties, like Wii U. Considering all games need to be made to scale from Xbox One to Xbox Scorpio (with PS4 and PS4P inbetween those on the power scale), if Switch is around the Xbox One mark, there’s no reason third parties can’t get their multiplatform games on there.

Profile photo of Gryllis
                                          Gryllis
                                          Participant
                                            • XP 114

I wish the colours were reversed — the Joy-Cons being black and the buttons lighter. Or Indigo – give me that Nintendo classic; all GameCube colour schemes.

Marty_Mate
                                            Participant
                                              • XP 79

Profile photo of Bootie101
                                              Bootie101
                                              Participant
                                                • XP 112

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I CANT WAIT…

Also this https://youtu.be/jKyH9wSleJk

Barters81
                                                Participant
                                                  • XP 112

Ooh…the gamecube purple looks pretty sweet. That or the first one.

Now that I’ve cooled down a bit from the initial teaser hype, I’m questioning if I’ll preorder or wait for some info on the specs.

I loved the WiiU and the good times I spent with my kids with it, but can’t help but think it’s launch feels similar to the Switch in terms of 3rd party promises.

I’m also wondering what Nintendo mean by saying the Switch isn’t a replacement for the Wii U or 3DS.

That said, since I traded the Wii U in I’ve dealt with 2 tantrums from my kids looking to play ‘cat mario’. So no doubt I’ll need this however it turns out at the end of the day.

Master Fenix
                                                    • XP 926

Where’d you get that from? Did you do that yourself?

Master Fenix
                                                      • XP 926

Registered that domain. What do you guys think? Should I do it?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.