What's your favourite "failed" console?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of StuM91 StuM91 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Master Fenix
    Master Fenix
      • XP 926

Simple question: which console that “failed” (that is, was majorly outsold by the competition and maybe even killed its manufacturer) is your favourite?

I’m most definitely team Dreamcast. I remember streaming the 9-9-99 US launch on Quicktime on a dial-up connection on IGN and seeing it slowly update one frame at a time lol

Profile photo of MicDaMan
      MicDaMan
      Participant
        • XP 454

The Dreamcast is the major one to come to mind. I have had a couple over the years, but only well past their time.

But my fav would be the Vita, I loved it, but just didnt seem to get the same support the DS was/is still getting….. would you consider it as failed!!

Profile photo of Gryllis
        Gryllis
        Participant
          • XP 114

Was the GameCube failed? I think Nintendo still profited since it was never sold at a loss, but it was smashed by the PS2 (although the Xbox was close to the GameCube in sales – the PS2 smashed everything – so if the GameCube was a failure by virtue of how much better its competitor did, then so was the Xbox).

Wii U and Dreamcast are about the same in units sold, but Dreamcast got there much faster, so I guess it was more successful than Wii U. Despite how much I make fun of it, I think Wii U has been a good second or third platform. It definitely doesn’t stand up on its own, but has had a couple of strong exclusives each year that are well worth playing, similar to the Dreamcast an really the GameCube (once third parties abandoned it).

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of Gryllis Gryllis.
          • This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of Gryllis Gryllis.
          Master Fenix
            • XP 926

Was the GameCube failed? I think Nintendo still profited since it was never sold at a loss, but it was smashed by the PS2 (although the Xbox was close to the GameCube in sales – the PS2 smashed everything – so if the GameCube was a failure by virtue of how much better its competitor did, then so was the Xbox). Wii U and Dreamcast are about the same in units sold, but Dreamcast got there much faster, so I guess it was more successful than Wii U. Despite how much I make fun of it, I think Wii U has been a good second or third platform. It definitely doesn’t stand up on its own, but has had a couple of strong exclusives each year that are well worth playing, similar to the Dreamcast an really the GameCube (once third parties abandoned it).

It was a success for Nintendo insofar as they made money on it, sure, but I think it classifies as a failure in that it forced Nintendo to change its philosophy and approach, which led to the Wii. If Gamecube was a “success” we’d probably have gotten Gamecube 2.0 as opposed to Wii.

Profile photo of Leasha
            Leasha
            Participant
              • XP 280

Dreamcast

Only had one friend who had enough money to buy one at the time of release. Boy did I spend hours playing that :D

Fond memories

Master Fenix
                • XP 926

Dreamcast Only had one friend who had enough money to buy one at the time of release. Boy did I spend hours playing that :D Fond memories

Virtua Tennis and Shemue  [love]

Profile photo of Leasha
                Leasha
                Participant
                  • XP 280

Dreamcast Only had one friend who had enough money to buy one at the time of release. Boy did I spend hours playing that :D Fond memories

Virtua Tennis and Shemue [love]

Sonic Adventure!

Profile photo of Gryllis
                  Gryllis
                  Participant
                    • XP 114

Was the GameCube failed? I think Nintendo still profited since it was never sold at a loss, but it was smashed by the PS2 (although the Xbox was close to the GameCube in sales – the PS2 smashed everything – so if the GameCube was a failure by virtue of how much better its competitor did, then so was the Xbox). Wii U and Dreamcast are about the same in units sold, but Dreamcast got there much faster, so I guess it was more successful than Wii U. Despite how much I make fun of it, I think Wii U has been a good second or third platform. It definitely doesn’t stand up on its own, but has had a couple of strong exclusives each year that are well worth playing, similar to the Dreamcast an really the GameCube (once third parties abandoned it).

It was a success for Nintendo insofar as they made money on it, sure, but I think it classifies as a failure in that it forced Nintendo to change its philosophy and approach, which led to the Wii. If Gamecube was a “success” we’d probably have gotten Gamecube 2.0 as opposed to Wii.

So I guess that means the original Xbox was a failure? Successful in being a practice run for MS (but I don’t think they made any money) and for ensuring Sony actually had some competition for the next generation, but standalone it lost to the PS2 by 130 million units. A large reason being the PS2 was on the market so much earlier, which of course led to MS launching the 360 earlier than anyone, including Sony, thought and ultimately resulting in last-gen being near-as-makes-no-difference equal in sales between them. I can’t think of another generation where we look back 10 years later and the two leading consoles finished equal on sales, with no clear winner. It was the missteps and rookie errors of the Xbox that led Microsoft to innovate more with the 360, but that means by this definition, Xbox was a failure (and so is Xbox One at the moment, arguably, being outsold 2:1 by its competitor, so that means so far Microsoft is 1 from 3, and Sony is 4 from 4, or 5 from 6 if we include handhelds).

Master Fenix
                      • XP 926

I would say the Xbox was a failure. Struggled to make much ground despite having a better software lineup of first-party exclusives and Live. As far as the amount Microsoft invested in the console, it was a failure. Explains the quick turnaround with the 360 and them working so hard to get it out first (and it paid off, although PS3 eventually caught up).

Profile photo of Maxiboy
                      Maxiboy
                      Participant
                        • XP 163

I fear the Wii U may be on this list in the not too distant future [sad]

Master Fenix
                          • XP 926

I fear the Wii U may be on this list in the not too distant future [sad]

Potentially. It’s certainly one of the most “neglected” consoles in recent memory.

Profile photo of Gryllis
                          Gryllis
                          Participant
                            • XP 114

Wii U is more failed than Xbox and GameCube, and I daresay Dreamcast too.

You could argue either way re: Dreamcast. They’ve sold about the same amount (Dreamcast 10 million, Wii U 12 million), but Wii U has taken waaaaay longer to get there. Point to Dreamcast. But Nintendo persisting longer than Dreamcast has allowed Wii U to end up with more quality exclusives, which is really all a failed console can do to remain relevant in someway. Point Wii U.

And the big one: Wii U has survived long enough to last a generation (4.5 years is longer than I thought it would, and not bad really since the average generation was around 5 years before the last one). So Nintendo will launch a successor, which the Dreamcast didn’t get, so obviously it causing Sega to drop out is a massive failure. Except Nintendo is only able to try again because of its previous success and massive cash reserves. So the Wii U itself hasn’t really allowed that. Equal failure for both of them there.

Profile photo of Maxiboy
                            Maxiboy
                            Participant
                              • XP 163

I think a big problem with the Wii U was a lack of 3rd party titles, it doesn’t compete in the same realm as PS and XB, I think that’s partly due to it being a weaker console.

I didn’t have a Wii but have a Wii U, there are Wii games I still want to play like Super Mario Galaxy but its still an expensive title in stores, even preowned at EB.

Profile photo of Severus
                              Severus
                              Participant
                                • XP 54

I think a Video Game Almanach would put the 3DO on the podium as the all time failed console! It is known.

It’s also my favourite as it was the most unreachable console for any commoner, let alone kids. The price to import one after its dead in the water release was astronomical, only the riches would/could obtain one outside of the US.

I like the concept of releasing variant versions of the console by different manufacturers, the first and last I’ve heard of. The games looked great for its time, but the slow loading times were a killer!

The CEO had so much planned for this, but the people’s wallet spoke and couldn’t afford to support it. A reincarnation would be interesting, but probably not.

Profile photo of Tyrus
                                Tyrus
                                Participant
                                  • XP 19

Gamecube. It is the last Nintendo console with:

– Both great (and consistent) first-party support AND third-party support from major publishers like Capcom, EA, Ubisoft and Sega, (the Wii had way too much third-party shovelware and fewer diamonds in the rough IMO).

– Introduced two of Nintendo’s best new IPs: Animal Crossing and Pikmin.

– Revitalised several franchises: F-Zero GX, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Metroid Prime.

– Delivered stellar sequels (Mario Kart: Double Dash, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year) that didn’t change/omit major features (Mario Kart 8, Paper Mario Colour Splash) or make gameplay filthily casual for younger audiences (Kirby and the Rainbow Curse) like subsequent Nintendo generations have.

– Some stellar risks: Donkey Konga series, Luigi’s Mansion, Kirby Air Ride, Star Fox Adventures, Super Mario Sunshine and The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker.

– Gameboy Player and GBA link cable features.

– Super Smash Bros. Melee for the win.

It’s only getting more love as people return to it and realise how great its library was. Appreciation is made harder due to the fact it’s the only generation of Nintendo not to be offered on Virtual Console, so these days you need the original software to appreciate it natively.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Tyrus Tyrus.
                                  Master Fenix
                                    • XP 926

Gamecube. It is the last Nintendo console with: – Both great (and consistent) first-party support AND third-party support from major publishers like Capcom, EA, Ubisoft and Sega, (the Wii had way too much third-party shovelware and fewer diamonds in the rough IMO). – Introduced two of Nintendo’s best new IPs: Animal Crossing and Pikmin. – Revitalised several franchises: F-Zero GX, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Metroid Prime. – Delivered stellar sequels (Mario Kart: Double Dash, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year) that didn’t change/omit major features (Mario Kart 8, Paper Mario Colour Splash) or make gameplay filthily casual for younger audiences (Kirby and the Rainbow Curse) like subsequent Nintendo generations have. – Some stellar risks: Donkey Konga series, Luigi’s Mansion, Kirby Air Ride, Star Fox Adventures, Super Mario Sunshine and The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker. – Gameboy Player and GBA link cable features. – Super Smash Bros. Melee for the win. It’s only getting more love as people return to it and realise how great its library was. Appreciation is made harder due to the fact it’s the only generation of Nintendo not to be offered on Virtual Console, so these days you need the original software to appreciate it natively.

Tyrus. He’s back!

Profile photo of Barters81
                                    Barters81
                                    Participant
                                      • XP 112

Easy question for me…….Dreamcast.

My best mate/house mate at the time somehow managed to get his hands on a stand up demo Dreamcast display with a dreamcast in it.  So have great memories of that in our man cave.

Though we did pull it out of there after a while so we could play on a bigger screen.

I was the Quake 3 master of the universe………..in my small circle of friends.

Also, Virtual tennis is such a good game.  Or was.

Profile photo of StuM91
                                      StuM91
                                      Participant
                                        • XP 102

Vita. The thing had so much potential but not enough people bought one so most dev’s gave up.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.