Tomb Raider

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Leasha Leasha 5 days, 7 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Barters81
    Barters81
    Participant
      • XP 112

Finally picked up the ‘new’ Tomb Raider’ this morning and had a chance to play it for a few hours today. Saw it for $49 at Target and couldn’t go past it. Though I must admit, with Cod IW at $49 too I nearly got that instead.

Anyway…..who else has it on Playstation?

I’ve got a PS4Pro and of course the first thing I did was muck around with the different graphcis options to see how I’d set it for my first playthrough. Most probably know these options already but for the sake of Sunday arvo boredom I’ll go through it anyhow.

So the default option for me when I started the game was ‘4K resolution’. The game gives a bit of a blurb as to what you’re getting in each mode, and apparently this is the setting for the highest resolution.

The next option was ‘Enhance Visuals’. This will output at 1080p and will apparently have funnily enough, enahnced visuals, better textures and some other fancy visual voodoo.

Finally there was the 60fps mode which is pretty self explanatory.

My experience with each?

I instantly went to the ‘enhanced visuals’ option as I figured I sit far enough from my TV that I probably don’t see all that much difference between 4k and 1080p. Then I went to the 4k setting…..back and forth between the two for a while in different settings.

To me, the 4K setting looked to have everything the enhanced visuals setting did, but was crisper and had noticeabley less jaggies. Maybe enhaced visuals had some slightly better lighting? Either way the gameplay fps was noticeably worse in that mode than 4k.

The 60fps mode to my eye actually looked better than the enhanced visuals setting too. It was just so smooth that the motion of the camera constantly caught you out glipmsing gorgeous backdrops.

So yeah, here I was thinking I’d rather have the lower framerate with prettier effects at a lower resolution, where it turns out I’d rather have a higher framerate at the higher resolution. As a disclaimer I should state that I have a 70 inch 4K HDR TV which gives the higher resolution an opportnity to shine.

As for the game itself? I’m having a great time. When I play it some more I’ll comment more on that.

Profile photo of Maxiboy
      Maxiboy
      Participant
        • XP 163

How ironic, I just bought the game myself. I’ve been wanting this game for ages but I have always been waiting for the right price. I got a steam key from G2A for ~$27 after using a $5 gift card I got in a magazine subscription; I guess the current steam sales have driven down the prices for keys too.

Profile photo of MicDaMan
        MicDaMan
        Participant
          • XP 452

Got it last week for FULL PRICE aagghhhhhh and COD IW at FULLL PRICE aaaaaggghhhh….

Anyway was a good game I put a few more hours into it then I thought I would. The added extra missions are a bonus.

BBBUTTTT
          The graphics for me were shit… well for a PS4 game. Her hair looked like it was rendered for a PS2… and the snow scenes where they tried to make it look like it was snowing and hard to see where horrendous ..to start with I thought my TV was blowing up. Also had quite a few glitches, where I could see through walls, and had to reload previous saves because it would not let me crawl under something etc….

Profile photo of Barters81
          Barters81
          Participant
            • XP 112

Was that on an OG PS4 or the Pro? I thought the game looked great on the pro. The hair was a bit weird though I must admit. I couldn’t stop thinking that all that computing that was going one for hair physics? Really?

Profile photo of Maxiboy
            Maxiboy
            Participant
              • XP 163

I couldn’t stop thinking that all that computing that was going one for hair physics? Really?

I’m surprised its enabled on console

Profile photo of Maxiboy
              Maxiboy
              Participant
                • XP 163

Just beat Rise of the Tomb Raider, took me a solid 28 hours all up with a fair amount of the side missions and upgrades done. I did not expect it to take that long but it was fun all the way through and certainly feel it was worth the time and money.

Profile photo of Leasha
                Leasha
                Participant
                  • XP 280

I’m keen on giving it a go because I enjoyed the last game that was released

Might wait for it to get even cheaper

Profile photo of Maxiboy
                  Maxiboy
                  Participant
                    • XP 163

I’m keen on giving it a go because I enjoyed the last game that was released

Might wait for it to get even cheaper

I guess I should have mentioned I paid <$30 :P

Profile photo of Leasha
                    Leasha
                    Participant
                      • XP 280

HA, I’ll take a look next time I’m out

Recently started playing through AC Black Flag so I might wait until I’ve finished that.. again

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.