Entertainment Cabinet Cooling DIY

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Barters81 Barters81 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Barters81
    Barters81
    Participant
      • XP 112

Morning gents,

So I’m about to embark on a little DIY job by installing some cooling exhaust fans into the rear of my entertainment cabinet.

As some may know, I’ve had issues with my PS4 overheating and sounding like it is about to take off of late, and need a solution to keep things cool.

I have an entertainment unit that has quite small (in height) areas for my consoles (Xbox One S + PS4) so it gets toasty in there pretty swiftly. While the Xbox One S stays silent, the PS4 sounds like a hair dryer. If I pull the PS4 out the front and rest it on something in the open the fan slows way down to almost being silent again.

The Solution

Throw a couple PC Case fans on the back panel exhausting hot air while drawing in fresh air.

I could of course just cut off the rear panel, but it hides some pretty unsightly cabling, and I’m unsure it would cool enough even after destroying the panel itself.

The biggest issue I’ve got is how to power the fans.

Do I buy PC Case fans, a fan controller (if I can get one with AC power input) and go from there? I could use my Green powerboard to ensure the fans only switch on when the PS4 is on.

Or…….buy a PC Case fan that has a USB connector (or any fan with an adapter cable) and use the PS4’s rear USB port for power. This will then ensure the fan only comes on when the PS4 is on. The PS4 runs power to its’ USB ports at all times so I don’t think it will create a power management issue.

Out of the options I like the idea of plugging into the PS4s usb, as it requires the least mucking about. And given the issue is really only on the PS4, it makes sense. Though of course the minute I do this the Xbox will require a solution too no doubt.

Anyway….any advice given would be well received. If anyone knows of a nifty little fan controller I can plug into an AC adapter and run 2 to 4 fans, please link it as I’ve not been able to find one.

Profile photo of Adwag
      Adwag
      Participant
        • XP 15

Fans seem a lot of trouble. Why not cut some slots into the back and sides and replace with some steel mesh if your worried about seeing cables. You really want some good all around air flow as opposed to fans blowing hot air around.

Barters81
        Participant
          • XP 112

True….but where is the fun in that?

It isn’t too much drama to be honest. A couple hole saw cuts etc as I’ve decided to run the fan off of the ps4 usb port.

Profile photo of Maxiboy
          Maxiboy
          Participant
            • XP 163

Ah I just found this thread now.
            After many years of making my PCs and other devices run cool I’m somewhat of an expert on this. Some 12v PC case fans will start and run on a 5v USB power, cheaper weaker ones work better than expensive ones like Noctua I’ve found because the powerful ones won’t start on 5v but are capable of running at that speed if you start them off.

Where did you mount the fans? Keeping your stuff in a cool environment should really help its lifespan.

Barters81
            Participant
              • XP 112

I haven’t actually done it yet. I’m still waiting for a USB to 3 pin cable to arrive from fleabay. In terms of where I’m mounting the fans, there will be two (one for the X1 and one for the PS4), they’ll be mounted pretty much directly behind the consoles on the back wall of the unit as high as I can get it. The fans will be setup so that they blow hot air out the back of the unit, drawing cooler air in through the front larger main/front opening of the unit.

My fans will run on 5V, but much slower. I’m ok with that as it is supposed to just be a bit better than passive cooling.

Profile photo of Maxiboy
              Maxiboy
              Participant
                • XP 163

Too late now I guess but you can just get any old USB cable and cut the ends of the cables off and solder or sticky tape them together. With the USB end just use the red and black wires iirc; you could check with a multimeter or just plug the USB cable into power and touch the fan wires to the USB wires in different combos until it works.

Barters81
                Participant
                  • XP 112

It’s funny cause it seems like I’ve been waiting forever for the USB to 3 pin cable to arrive off of ebay to connect up the fan.

In the meantime of course I got the ps4pro.

After playing for a bit it became obvious that the cabinet the ps4 now ps4pro sits in is the issue. The ps4pro started winding up while playing Uncharted 4 to a pretty loud degree.

So I thought stuff this, I’m going to cut out the back of the cabinet with a jigsaw. So that’s what I did.

I figured if it still gets really hot and if the cable ever arrives I could put the fan in there any way. But to be honest the ps4pro has been completely 100% silent since I’ve made the cut out. I couldn’t believe it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.