Graphics Cards

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Maxiboy Maxiboy 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Maxiboy
    Maxiboy
    Participant
      • XP 163

A general thread for graphics cards, news of emerging tech and where to ask if you have questions.

Profile photo of Maxiboy
      Maxiboy
      Participant
        • XP 163

Nvidia’s Pascal “1000” series and AMD’s 400 series are rumored to come out midyear, is anyone planning on upgrading?

I personally wouldn’t mind a GTX 1070 (if thats what they call it), I have a friend who wants to buy my GTX 970 off me for around $350. If the 1070 is ~$500 like the 970 is then its a very reasonable upgrade path which would probably be better than getting another 970.

Profile photo of doyl
        doyl
        Participant
          • XP 18

I saw this release about Nvidia’s press release that is slated for the 6th of May on got excited.

I agree with your train of thought Maxi. The high end mid-tier cards are usually where the good value for money is  [good]

Profile photo of Maxiboy
          Maxiboy
          Participant
            • XP 163

I didn’t realise they were about to announce, I’d kinda forgotten about it for a few weeks. I am of course a fan of team green but i’m not a fanboy, I might wait and see what team red has too, worst case scenario it leads to an Nvidia price drop (that’ll be the day…).

Profile photo of Guyver
            Guyver
              • XP 105

My GTX680 is still doing what I need it to do, part of me wants to upgrade it or even find a second one to help it along but since the one in my rig right now is on water it would be a mission and most likely a decent investment to get it all running the way I like it.

If I ever go back to a multi-screen setup running Surround or get into VR then I’ll probably do an upgrade but for now this old card will do the job.

Profile photo of doyl
              doyl
              Participant
                • XP 18

My GTX680 is still doing what I need it to do

Wish I never sold mine [cry]

Profile photo of MorgtheBrit
                MorgtheBrit
                Participant
                  • XP 73

The new 1070 and 1080 cards seem pretty awesome and cheap too for what they supposedly offer  [yep]

I wonder how much the 980 and such will drop when they release.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of MorgtheBrit MorgtheBrit.
                  Profile photo of Skarteh
                  Skarteh
                  Participant
                    • XP 3

The 980 Ti will be hit the hardest but the 980 will probably end up cheaper because it was already dropping in sales. It really depends what stock the distributors get stuck with as to which will end up copping the biggest discounts. 980 Ti already dropped like $150. I think it will need to hit about 799 if the 1080 is around 900-949 here as it likely will be. That said I doubt the performance difference claims will be correct… 25% increase is huge…

Profile photo of Maxiboy
                    Maxiboy
                    Participant
                      • XP 163

The 980 Ti will be hit the hardest but the 980 will probably end up cheaper because it was already dropping in sales. It really depends what stock the distributors get stuck with as to which will end up copping the biggest discounts. 980 Ti already dropped like $150. I think it will need to hit about 799 if the 1080 is around 900-949 here as it likely will be. That said I doubt the performance difference claims will be correct… 25% increase is huge…

780 to 980 was about 20% improvement in performance and the 700 series was a rework of the 600 series. Nvidia didn’t rework the 900 series because they didn’t have to to compete with AMD’s 300 series.

Profile photo of Maxiboy
                      Maxiboy
                      Participant
                        • XP 163

Well the regular GTX1070s have hit the market and damn the prices are a lot steeper than when the 970 came out, almost $800. The 1070 is almost as powerful as the 980Ti, OC’d its probably on par.

I was planning to sell my 970 and get a 1070 but with this price disparity I won’t be. My single 970 handles everything I throw at it and I can live with not ramping quality up to ultra in new games if I have to.

Profile photo of StuM91
                        StuM91
                        Participant
                          • XP 102

Need to see those Polaris benchmarks (not that rubbish AMD show) out. Really interested to seehow the 480 will stack up against the 1070.

Profile photo of Maxiboy
                          Maxiboy
                          Participant
                            • XP 163

The 480 is a great value card if you have anything like a GTX760 or older, its about the same power as a GTX 970 but for ~$400, not worth getting if you have a 970 but a great value card I’ll be recommending to my friends.
                            Compared to the 970 the processing is maybe a bit less but the 8GB models can definitely outdo the 970 in some applications like 4k and VR in some games.

Profile photo of Tyrus
                            Tyrus
                            Participant
                              • XP 19

I missed out on all the eBay sales for GTX 1070 and am pissed. I want a new one to upgrade over the 960 I currently have for a few more demanding titles. Plus I’ve been heavy into the modding scene for Fallout as of late and my experimenting has been a bit demanding on my poor GPU, to say the least.

Profile photo of Maxiboy
                              Maxiboy
                              Participant
                                • XP 163

I missed out on all the eBay sales for GTX 1070 and am pissed. I want a new one to upgrade over the 960 I currently have for a few more demanding titles. Plus I’ve been heavy into the modding scene for Fallout as of late and my experimenting has been a bit demanding on my poor GPU, to say the least.

How much were they going for on ebay?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.